My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Mark and I got married in June 2002. We have a sweet little girl Brooklyn who came to our family in 2007 and we also have three adorable boys Brady, Jackson and Tyson. Mark works for Monsanto as an Account Manager and I am a stay at home mom of 4 kids under 5 1/2.
Monday, September 22, 2008

One Week Old and Labor Story

Brady is one week old today. Time sure does fly by. I can't believe it's been a week all ready. It has been so fun having him with us this last week. Brady is doing very well and is very healthy. When we left the hosptial on Wednesday he had only lost 7% of his body weight, which is really good. Most babies loose 10% or more. He also had one of the lowest amounts of jaundice the nurses had ever seen. On Friday he went in for a checkup and he had all ready gained back his birth weight and more, which usually doens't happen until close to 2 weeks. So he is eating well and doing great. We are glad to know he is eating well and gaining weight, so we don't have to go through the stress of syringe feeding and weight loss that we endured with Brooklyn. Some of you have been wondering how the labor was this time around, so I will try and fill you in. I woke up Saturday morning at around 3:30am with contractions every 6 minutes. I got up and got the hospital bags packed and all of Brooklyn's stuff packed and hoped labor wouldn't progress too fast so we wouldn't have to wake someone up to take Brooklyn in the middle of the night. At 7:00am we dropped Brooklyn off at a neighbors and headed to the hospital. At the hospital, they monitored my contractions for several hours and found I was dialated to a 3. Improvement over Thursdays dr. appointment of a 2. But regardless of being a 3 they sent me home. The neigbors kept Brooklyn because the nurse assured me I would be back to give birth that day. Boy was she wrong. Saturday came and went and I found myself still having contractions. They weren't painful, just uncomfortable, but by Sunday they were starting to be painful. I held out most of the day. My mom arrived at 2:30 and we showed her around the house and where everything was. Then we headed off to the hospital. I was still a 3 and even though I was in pain this time they sent me home again and told me to take some tylenol and come back when my contractions were 2 min apart or if I was in really bad pain. So back home we went. It was a miserable night spent on the couch breathing through contractions. Now it is Monday morning at about 4:30am and I couldn't take the pain anymore so we headed to the hosptail again, praying they weren't going to send me home. Because I was going to be induced at 6:00am Monday morning they went ahead and admitted me. I was now dilated to a 5. At this point I begged for some pain medication and of course that would involve starting an IV before I could get any relief. Unfortunatly it took a long time and three tries to finally get an IV started. Then they gave me some type of drug to take the edge of the pain until they could get me an epidural. The epidural didn't go as planned either. They had to stick me twice(which was an improvement over the three times with Brooklyn), but after some time my blood pressure dropped really, really low so they had to turn the epidural completly off. So unfortunatly I had no epidural for delivery, but luckily I only had to push 10 minutes this time unlike the 2 1/2 hours for Brooklyn. Giving birth this time around was the most painful thing I have endured so far in my life, but it was more than worth it to get miracle baby #2 here. Here are some pictures of Brady's first bath at home. He didn't enjoy it very much.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

That sure does sound painful. Thank goodness I have easy deliverys.

I am glad to hear that he was all worth it. I find that they ypicaly are worth the pain :)

Kelly said...

He is so stinking cute. I love his dark hair and eyes. I'm so glad to hear the story--it sounds like a nightmare, but a healthy baby is more than worth it!

Lindsey said...

I love the new picture you have on your header Tarah! You look great. Congrats on surviving childbirth twice. (I keep telling Noelle she is going to be an only child:)

Penni said...

What a sweet baby! I'm so sorry you weren't able to have the epidural work for you, but I know what you mean about going through anything for your baby to be here safe and sound. Aww, we have the same bath tub, lol. I'm glad ya'll are doing well! I love your new picture and profile background-by the way. :)

Sarah or someone like her said...

Ha! I had to push for 3 hours with Maddie and then 3 TIMES with Mason. And he kept putting me in labor only to change his mind once we went to or called the hospital also - it sounds so similar. Only, my epidural worked. I feel for you.